Online Consultation
Where are you currently situated?
What is your current status
in Canada?
   Are you seeking refugee
      status in Canada?
Tell us
about your
London Immigration Lawyer
Migration Topics » Temporary Resident Visas » Off-Campus Work Permit

Off-Campus Work Permits
for International Students

In some circumstances, international students may have the opportunity to work in Canada to help them pay their tuition and living expenses during their stay.

These options include working on campus without a work permit, working off campus with a work permit, or working in an internship/co-op program with a work permit, when work experience is a program graduation requirement.

You are eligible to apply for an Off-Campus Work Permit (OCWP) if your study permit is still valid, if your educational institution participates in the work program, you are in good academic standing, are not studying English or French as a Second Language, have been studying full time for a minimum of six months of the previous year, and authorize your educational institution to release required information to Citizenship and Immigration Canada. The above criteria must be maintained while your OCWP is in effect, or it will be revoked.

You are not eligible for an OCWP if you are receiving scholarships or awards form the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, are an exchange or visiting student, or if you are participating in the Canada-Chile Equal Opportunity Scholarship Program, Canada-China Scholars Exchanges Program, the Organization of American States Fellowships Program or you are funded by CIDA (Canadian International Development Agency).

If you are approved, you may work up to 20 hours per week as well as during breaks and holidays, until 90 days after the expiration of your study visa.